Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A day in the life.

So many of you have asked what my daily schedule is and what my fairbanks life is all about. Well heres some little facts about my average day in fairbanks. Some of its normal and some I'll have to get used to.
First, I wake up in the morning around 6:30 to wake up maddy and get her ready for school. I make breakfast, pack her lunch and we head out the door before 8. Her school starts at 8:30 and then I'm off to classes at the University. After I go to my classes I go and pick up maddy at 3:15. Then we head off to the gym where we go to zumba, run, and swim in the pool. After the gym we head home. Maddy does her homework while I make dinner. She goes to sleep at 8:30 and then I do my homework and catch up with my friends.

Some things that are a little different here in alaska:
1. Waking up to pitch black with the moon still hung in the sky.
2. Having to plug in my car whenever I'm turning it off for more than an hour...
Yeah...everyone does this. Otherwise your oil might freeze and your car won't start.
3.Remembering that when I say I'm from california I have to remind everyone I'm not from L.A. Its like a mini europe over here. lol
4. Sunrise at 10:30 in the morning, which I'm rather fond of. : )
5. finally, the fact that walking anywhere, no matter how close, is a huge adventure.

Some cool things
People still ride bikes here, even though the roads are covered in a nice sheet of thick ice. Their bikes are equipped with some hefty tires that are about 5 times bigger than a normal mountain bike tire.
People are  NOT decked out in only carhart and surel, they dress normal and reasonably fashionable. (This I like)
People know how cold it is here. They don't hide the fact and they don't "get use to it".

So I hope that covers everything, leave me a comment if you'd like me to answer any questions you have. Thank you and goodnight! : )

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you don't get used to it. It just happens and you learn to adapt to it. We have the plug in car heaters here too. Although, I love the car starters!

    ReplyDelete