Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Finally in Alaska

Woke up at 4:00 a.m. to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight. Sat on a plane for four hours and finally made it to anchorage around 10:00 a.m. alaska time. It was still dark when I landed but the sun finally rose around 10:30. I can sleep in still see the sunrise here : )  The sun was shining and beautiful the whole drive to fairbanks. We drove though Denali state park and the scenery was absolutely majestic.
The drive took about 6 hours and we were advised almost no places along the way were going to be open. We had a full tank of gas but there was no place to eat or....do our business.lol so we started to stop at every post there was. The last one we tried after not eating for almost 9 hours that day had some interesting signs that indicated it was not open.
A paper sign in eastjesusnowhere that told us the place had been closed for some odd time and wouldn't be opening till April! And we weren't about to stick around for 3 months. Another sign that was rather entertaining let us know how people most commonly get around in that area.
So we had to keep driving in hopes we'd soon find a place to eat and rest. Finally about an hour later, two hours from fairbanks we found a post. I don't know if we were just hungry but that was the best food i've ever had. Going there again I probably wouldn't say the same thing....lol
Also along the way we managed to get a pretty good shot of Mount McKinley.
 Thats Mount McKinley. The one towering over the Denali range. Climbers most commonly use this 20 thousand foot peak to train for Mt.Everest. We got out of the car to stretch our legs and take some needed pictures. The temp at that time was only minus 18! A little cold but nothing I can't handle. : )
Oh yeah. Thats right. I'm in high heels. In Alaska. lol dorky pose I know but I just felt like doing something fun : ) Once we had our fun we starting driving again towards fairbanks. The coolest part of this whole road trip was the that we got to see the sun rise and set in a matter of hours. It was one of the longest sunsets I've ever seen and it was one the most beautiful. The moon that night though Oh My God. It was the january harvest moon and it was big! I tried to take a photo but it just doesn't do it justice.
Almost to fairbanks we saw our first alaskan moose! Didn't manage to snag a picture unfortunately. We got to Fairbanks around seven and it was cold! Minus 31! We settled into our temporary home until we can move into our house in march hopefully! Talked to Tony on skype before bed and then passed out! I had been up for a staggering 20 hours. I was pooped! So far thats my Alaskan adventure, more to come! Its minus 33 today with a high of minus 15! yikes.

1 comment:

  1. Feel like I'm on this journey with you! You will never forget these days! Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete